Self-Employed – Social Security and Medicare Payments

You are self-employed if you operate a trade, business or profession, either by ­yourself or as a partner. You report your earnings for Social Security when you file your federal income tax return. If your net earnings are $400 or more in a year, you must report your earnings on Schedule SE in addition to the other tax forms you must file.

Paying Social Security and Medicare taxes  Skip contents links

Work credits
Figuring your net earnings
Optional method
How to report earnings
Family business arrangements
Contacting Social Security